Why you should use spawn-fcgi instead of something else¶
- Privilege separation without needing a suid-binary or running a server as root.
- Protect (unix) socket - only the webserver can connect to your backend (especially php can be vulnerable if untrusted users can connect)
- You can restart your web server and the FastCGI applications without restarting the others.
- You can run them in different chroot()s.
- Running your FastCGI applications doesn’t depend on the web server you are running, which allows for easier testing of/migration to other web servers.
Pages in lighttpd wiki¶