GSoC 2008 - Ideas¶
Ideas for the students for "GSoC08 for lighttpd"
- implement bayeux (cometd protocol) as described in mod_mailbox
- implement a scoreboard to make server.max-workers a clean approach
- improve the lighttpd-angel to integrate nicely with supervise and runit for graceful restarts
- for 1.5.0
- streaming upload and chunked encoding for uploads
- scalability testing for 1.5.x and its threaded backends on large-scale hardware
- restructure the virtual hosting system so it can accept different sources without need to implement different modules, by unifying mod_evhost, mod_mysql_vhost, mod_simple_vhost (and also adding LUA vhost)
- allow LUA (through mod_magnet) to change the FastCGI backend, allowing virtual hosts to easily switch application backends
- study, document and implement the best way for virtual hosting (using lighttpd) using only one lighttpd process but obeying the need for permissions per domain.
- improve (or overhaul) the documentation for building the 1.5 branch on Windows
- continue work on the 1.5 branch to make Windows builds seamless
- (these are just suggestions, and I am certainly not qualified to perform either of the above ideas.)
- Make mod_fastcgi multiplex requests over same connection, IE exploit CONN_MPX
- SNI support and maybe http://rfc.net/rfc2817.html
- IDN support
- error_log per virtual domain
- what definitely is needed is a facility to easily load a list of ip-addresses that will be blocked - dynamically, of course, without manual restarting the server -
to handle evil spiders, DOS etc. Every webmaster needs this.
- (Apache .htaccess compatibility) - implement -f & -d from mod_rewrite
- mod_wsgi - a module geared towards wsgi http://www.python.org/dev/peps/pep-0333/, ala mod_wsgi for apache http://code.google.com/p/modwsgi/ and nginx http://wiki.codemongers.com/NginxNgxWSGIModule
Updated by gstrauss over 1 year ago · 18 revisions